Savory Dutch Baby
Oh You’re So Savory
I made this savory Dutch Baby and I promise you it’s one of the most. delicious. breakfasts. I. ever. had. I have always loved the combination of onions and mushrooms sautéed together in olive oil with a good sprinkle of salt and lots of fresh thyme leaves. The flavors are just perfect together and I though they would be perfect to create a savory version of one of our favorite breakfasts; Dutch Baby.
I used my Dutch Baby recipe but omitted the vanilla, included some of the onions and mushrooms within the batter and used the remaining vegetables to serve on top. Trust me, don't discard that remaining olive oil in your cooking pan because you’ll want to drizzle it on top of the baked Dutch Baby.
Anyway, I’m including everything I did here for your convenience! Do you like savory pancakes like this? Let me know in the comments and I will create more recipes like this one!
(Basically pasting the recipe notes from last time but just for you to have them on hand)
1. To take out the thyme leaves, pinch the top of an individual sprig and using your thumb, index and middle finger grab it from the top and push down.
2. It’s very, very, very important that the skillet is super hot. Don’t skip time heating it in the oven. The more time the better.
3. Technically you can beat this with a whisker but the traditional recipe calls for a blender and with good reason. The way it incorporates air and works the gluten is key in the puffing process of the Dutch baby.
4. Remember to spread the butter around the skillet and stream the batter slowly but consistently, swirling it across the pan so it ends up evenly distributed.
5. The idea to serve immediately is more for the wow factor of this blew pancake, but in case of any leftovers you may store them in an airtight container on the fridge and heat in a countertop over or skillet.
Butter – 4 TBSP
Coconut milk – ½ cup
Unbleached flour – ½ cup
Eggs - 3
Raw sugar – 1 TBSP
Fine sea salt – ¼ Tsp
Powdered sugar to dust on top
Sautéed Onions and Mushrooms
Sliced yellow onions, about ½” thick – 1 cup, approximately 1 large yellow onion
Mushroom caps, cleaned – 1 cup
Olive oil – 4 to 5 TBSP
Fine sea salt – ¼ Tsp + a pinch to taste
Fresh thyme leaves – 6 to 7 sprigs, or more if desire (see notes)
To make the Dutch Baby: Preheat oven to 425°. Place a cast iron or ovenproof skillet inside it and heat for 7 to 10 minutes.
In the meantime melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium to low heat and keep it warm.
Pour coconut milk in the blender jar. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix for a minute. Using a spoon scrap the bottom of the jar to make sure there’s no dry flour. Close the lid and mix again for and extra 20 to 30 seconds, until you see some bubble start to form on the surface of the batter.
Using silicon mittens remove pan from the oven. Immediately pour butter and spread to make it’s evenly distributed. Start pouring the pancake batter slowly but in a constant stream. You may move the jar in a circular motion to distribute the batter as even as possible. Arrange in the center some of the onions and mushrooms. Using your silicon mittens again place pan in oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until puffed and golden brown (since you adding vegetables in the center the Dutch Baby will not puff as high as a plain one but is completely fine). Take out of the oven and put the remaining vegetables in the pan. Dust powdered sugar on top to serve and drizzle the remaining olive oil.
To make the onions and mushrooms: While Dutch baby is in the oven prepare onions and mushrooms. In a medium or large skillet heat the oil in medium heat just until it start to look translucent. Add in the vegetables and sprinkle with the salt. Toss frequently, just until the onions start to look translucent and the mushrooms are tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the thyme and toss once more. If the veggies seem a bit dry, feel free to drizzle a bit of olive oil and toss with the rest of the mixture. Retire immediately from heat and arrange over Dutch baby. Dust some powdered sugar on top. You may squeezed just a little bit of fresh lemon juice if desire.